Officials: Gas leak reported on Michigan Street, businesses evacuated
Thick white smoke can be seen in area
ORLANDO, Fla. – A section of Michigan Street has been shut down due to a gas leak Saturday afternoon.
According to officials, businesses around the leak were evacuated.
The leak was caused when a natural gas line was cut by a construction crew that was digging, according to authorities.
Pictures from the scene show a thick white smoke coming from the street.
The Orlando Fire Department wrote on Twitter:
"HazMat team on scene of a gas leak. W. Michigan St. is blocked off between S. Division Ave and I-4. TECO on scene working to control it. Nearby businesses evacuated as a precaution."
Authorities tell News 6 that utility workers hit a gas line during construction on the street.
The Florida Department of Transportation said the situation will be documented and they will investigate the situation.
Stay with News 6 as we update this developing story
Copyright 2019 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.