5 things to know today - that aren't about the virus
Your daily look at nonvirus stories in the news:
1. WILDFIRES RAGE IN FLORIDA PANHANDLE Forecasters say dry conditions, low humidity and high winds have whipped up the fire which started as a prescribed burn, forcing hundreds of people from their homes.
2. ‘PEOPLE FELT BREATHLESS’ A chemical gas leak from an industrial plant in southern India has killed at least 11 people and left about 1,000 others suffering with breathing difficulties and other problems.
3. CARDINAL PELL KNEW OF ABUSIVE PRIESTS An Australian inquiry says the prelate knew a priest had been moved decades ago because he had sexually abused children and should have suspended an unstable priest in another parish.
4. SUPREME COURT TOSSES “BRIDGEGATE'' CONVICTIONS - In a unanimous decision, the court ruled the government overreached in prosecuting Christie allies Bridget Kelly and Bill Baroni for their roles in creating a traffic jam on the George Washington Bridge.
5. TRUCKER FACES SCRUTINY ACROSS US - Investigators from multiple states are looking into whether a long-haul trucker from Iowa who’s implicated in three women’s slayings in the 1990s could be responsible for other unsolved homicides.
Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.