Altamonte Springs family forced out after heater catches fire

Firefighters say family turned on heater, something inside unit caught fire

By Lisa Bell - Anchor
Headline Goes Here

ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. - A local family was forced out of their home Wednesday night after their heater caught fire.

The fire broke out just before 9 p.m. in Altamonte Springs at an apartment complex off Northlake Boulevard.

Seminole County firefighters said a family turned on their heater and something inside the unit caught fire.

Soon smoke was pouring out the roof. Everyone made it out safely, while a 15-year-old neighbor called 911.

"I was laying down in my bed and I started to smell smoke, so I ran to my dad's room and told him I started to smell smoke, then I called police," said Joshua Pink.

Firefighters said damage was contained to the heating unit, but they turned off electricity to the apartment as a precaution.

The Red Cross is now helping the elderly man, woman and young boy who lived in the apartment find a new place to stay. Everyone else was allowed back inside their home.

Firefighters recommend getting your heater serviced and changing you filter, before turning on the heat.

Copyright 2013 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.