Baby accidentally smothered, dies, Marion County deputies say

DCF investigating incident

Headline Goes Here

BELLEVIEW, Fla. - A Marion County infant died after he was accidentally smothered by a family member who fell asleep with the infant on her chest, according to deputies.

Deputies said they were called to the home on Southeast 45th Avenue in Belleview early Monday morning after the family member fell asleep with the infant on her chest and rolled over sometime throughout the night, accidentally smothering the baby.

The Department of Children and Families is investigating. No charges have been filed.

Health officials say the best place for babies to sleep is in a crib or bassinet in your room, not in your bed.

Copyright 2014 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.