Volusia deputies shoot, kill man accused of stalking ex-girlfriend

Sheriff: Suspect had history of dating violence against several women

By John Ambrogne - Executive Producer, Mark Lehman - Reporter

PORT ORANGE, Fla. - A man was killed in a deputy-involved shooting Wednesday night in Port Orange, according to the Volusia County Sheriff's Office.

The fatal shooting happened at 10:45 p.m. near a 7-Eleven in the 1600 block of Taylor Road.

Officials said in a 911 call that a woman said her ex-boyfriend, later identified as John Wurms, 32, was in her apartment complex parking lot. He wasn't allowed to be near her because he had been arrested for allegations of aggravated stalking, deputies said.

"We know conclusively this guy was locked up for aggravated stalking and loitering and prowling. They had been tracking him to arrest him. He fled from Holly Hill," Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood said.

Wurms fled the area, and officers spotted his motorcycle parked at a 7-Eleven in Port Orange around 10:45 p.m., officials said. He then ran away, deputies said.

Wurms then pointed a gun at his head and at law enforcement officers, officials said. Deputies and police then fired their guns at him.

Officials with the Sheriff's Office released body camera footage of the incident on Thursday.

The audio from the video shows Port Orange police and Volusia County deputies ordered Wurms to take his hands out of his pockets and then the suspect running away with a gun to his head.

The video is very dark and it's hard to make out Wurms pointing a gun at the officers.

The man was rushed to a hospital and later died from his injuries, sheriff's officials said.

No deputies were injured.

Chitwood said Wurms had a history of dating violence against several ex-girlfriends dating back to 2008.

“Thank the good Lord that none of these ex-girlfriends were killed," Chitwood said, adding that Wurms slashed one previous partner's tires 11 times. 

"There is a lot of anger here against women," the sheriff said of the suspect.

Wurms had recently made statements about wanting to kill himself, but wanted a police officer to do it, Chitwood said. The suspect leaves behind an 11-year-old son, according to the sheriff.

"For the past three week his parents have been trying to get him help," Chitwood said.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating the deputy-involved shooting.

The deputy who fired his weapon was identified as Devin Lafoucade, 24, and placed on paid administrative leave pending the FDLE investigation, which is standard procedure.

Chitwood recently praised LaFoucade's actions for keeping his cool during an Oct. 13 encounter ​with a suspect who tried to grab a loaded gun during a traffic stop.  

Stay with News 6 and ClickOrlando.com for updates on this developing story.

Copyright 2018 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.