INDIALANTIC, Fla. - Discarded fireworks sparked a Brevard County house fire early Friday, according to officials.
The fire broke out around 12:30 a.m. on Seabreeze Drive.
Brevard Rescue fire officials said fireworks left in a trash bin next to the home caused the fire, which damaged a fence, two vehicles, the exterior of the home around the garage and the attic.
"The remnants of the fireworks were in a plastic trash can up next to the home. They later caught fire. It was noticed by a neighbor," Chief Mark Schollmeyer said.
All of the residents were out of the home when firefighters arrived, and no injuries were reported.
Cause has been determined as discarded fireworks in a trash can next to the home. Fire damaged a fence, 2 vehicles, the eaves/exterior of home around the garage. Minor extension into attic space. — BCFRpio (@BCFRpio) July 5, 2019
A home restoration worker said about half of the house is still in one piece.
For anyone else playing with fireworks this weekend, firefighters warn that this is a cautionary tale.
"If you must shoot off fireworks, when you dispose of them, put them in a bucket of water for a period of time and let them soak and let them go out," Schollmeyer said.
Copyright 2019 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.