Edgewater High School security guard resigns after inquiry of him messaging student on Snapchat

Steven Woods resigned with school district on Oct. 10

ORLANDO, Fla. - An Edgewater High School security guard and football coach resigned last week after he sent a Snapchat message to a female student in August, violating the district's policy.

A DCF investigation into Steven Woods began on Aug. 16 for an incident the day prior, when a female student went to administration and told them that Woods sent her a message on Snapchat.

The female student went to administrators and explained the incident with Wood where she and her friend were taking pictures at school on Snapchat, and then he told them to get to class.

Woods offered to take the students on his golf cart to class. The female student said while her phone was on the seat next to Woods he went to add himself to her Snaphat account.

The student told administrators that he did it to keep an eye on her.

The student told officials that she denied his requests and then he tried to add her an additional time on a different Snapchat name, and she added Wood not realizing it was him. The student showed the administrators the message.

Woods: What's up? You didn't add me on here? LOL

Student: I most definitely did

Woods: I was hoping to see some of your snaps from today. Specially that pic of you squatting down. What r up to?

Student: Oh I didn't post those.

Woods: Dang. I would have like to see. What's the mean pretty girl up to tonight? Why aren't you in bed?

Woods when questioned about the exchange on August 30 and admitted to the sending the student the message.​

"I did not intend anything sexual about the squatting comment, just trying to explain which pictures I was referring to," Woods told officials in the incident report said.

"While I know that this is wrong, my full intention was to work with them, get to know them, like I try to connect with my boys on the football team. It was an attempt to build rapport, and I went about it in the wrong way," Wood said.

According to the school district records, Wood was relieved of duty with pay on Aug. 17 and returned to work on Sept. 5. Woods was issued a letter of reprimand on Sept. 17, stating that he had violated the school board's policy and that the letter would be in effect for two years after it was issued.

Woods resigned from the school on Oct. 10.

Copyright 2017 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.