Fire erupts at Marion strip mall

Hot tar ignites fire on mall roof

MARION COUNTY, Fla. - Marion County firefighters quickly extinguished a fire that broke out on the roof of a strip mall Friday night.

Firefighters said they were called to 2488 SE 58th Ave. in Ocala around 9:36 p.m. Friday for reports of smoke and flames coming from a building.

Firefighters got to the strip mall where a Dollar General, Express Cleaners, C & D Coliseum and two other vacant units were located.

The fire appears to have started between the Dollar General and Express Cleaners due to the ignition of hot tar used on the roof, officials said.

Firefighters had the fire under control in under 30 minutes and there were no injuries, authorities said.

Firefighters said there was no damage to the businesses that reopened Saturday morning.

Copyright 2014 by ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.