Extension cord sparks Ocala house fire

House damage estimated at $35K, fire rescue officials say

Headline Goes Here Ocala Fire Rescue

Ocala Fire Rescue protects the homeowner’s property from further damage and ensure the fire is extinguished.

OCALA, Fla. - Ocala Fire Rescue extinguished a house fire Monday morning, caused by a faulty extension cord.

Tony Allen, a passerby, noticed smoke coming from the house and knocked on the door to see if anyone was inside. Upon realizing the house was vacant, the passerby alerted a neighbor of the fire and had them call the 911.

According to Battalion Chief Mark McEarchern, Ocala Fire Rescue arrived to the burning home within three minutes of receiving the phone call. The passerby used a garden hose to keep the flames in check until the fire department's arrival.

The fire was contained to one room, but heat and smoke damage affected the rest of the house. Damage was estimated at $35,000, according to fire investigator Captain Alan Peters.

Later, the home owner arrived to the scene and was checked by paramedics.

Copyright 2013 by ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.