ORLANDO, Fla. - The Orlando Fire Department did door-to-door smoke detector checks the day after an elderly man died in a house fire Monday.
The Parramore home on Lee Avenue had no working smoke detectors when it caught fire early Monday morning. Family members say Johnny Pitts Sr. was using a space heater that was too close to bedding. Family members also believe the grandfather ran back to the home after initially escaping.
More News Headlines
- Man dies in Orlando house fire
- Tech exec raises $160,000 for Roy Moore accuser
- Fire scorches Sanford house, leaves family homeless
- Family of 6 displaced after Casselberry house fire
- Man killed, woman badly burned in Orlando house fire
- Firefighters battle 3 Apopka house fires at same time
- Nearly $60,000 Raised For 'Hugging Dog' And Owner Who Lost Home in…
- Firefighter injured in DeLand house fire caused by lit menorah candles,…
- Woman's 'Live Report' From Scene of House Fire Leads to Arrest of…
- Puppy rescued from Audubon Park house fire
- Titusville house fire kills two dogs
- 2 dogs killed in Titusville house fire
- Crews battle house fire in Orange County, officials say
Firefighters routinely pass out the devices after fatal fires as a safety precaution. More than a dozen were installed at nearby homes.
,' grandson says he didn't know why his grandfather didn't have working smoke detectors, but says oftentimes, families don't keep track of certain safety measures when they have more pressing struggles.
"I believe they're aware; however, the concern, is the accurate concern necessarily there? I don't believe so. A lot of people just want to make sure they have somewhere to go and call home," Jeremy Pitts said.
Neighbors who did not get a smoke detector are able to contact firefighters and get them installed for free at a later date.
Copyright 2018 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.