MIRAMAR, Fla. - Authorities say a South Florida teenager should make a full recovery after being bitten by a venomous snake while walking home from school.
Paramedics say the 16-year-old dropped a shirt he was carrying and reached down to get it. That's when a nearby water moccasin bit him.
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Lt. Lisa Wood says the teen had seen the snake but didn't think the snake could reach him. The teen had been walking home from his Miramar high school.
The teen called 911, and he was rushed to a hospital Friday afternoon.
Wood said the snake bite caused a lot of swelling in the boy's hand and forearm, but he's expected to recover.
State wildlife officials say water moccasin bites can be extremely painful and potentially fatal.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.