CLERMONT, Fla. - A Clermont police officer is fighting for his life in the hospital after being burned on more than half of his body.
Officer Kris Kruse, 21, was sworn in as an officer in July after joining the police academy at age 18.
Kruse's life took a drastic turn on Super Bowl Sunday while sitting near a bonfire.
Kruse's father Jack Kruse, also a Clermont police officer, said that his son noticed a gas containing sitting too close to the fire. Jack Kruse said as his son lifted the container, it exploded due to overheating.
"I sat there last night and just held his foot, like someone would hold a hand. I hope he felt that. I know it meant a lot to me. We will take what we can get at this point," said Jack Kruse.
Being an officer along side his father was always a dream for Kris Kruse, according to his family.
"We had a couple shifts together, it was something that we looked forward to as a father and son for a long time," said Jack Kruse.
Kruse's family said that he's being heavily sedated at Orlando Regional Medical Center. His family also said that doctors are giving his chance of survival at 50 percent.
Jack Kruse's post on Facebook about his son's accident has gone viral. There are nearly 60,000 "likes" and "comments" on the post in just a couple days.
"He has so many friends. He's touched so many people in such a short period of time that it's struck a chord. It's just, he's probably got thousands of people just around Clermont that he's influenced."
The family has set up a fundraiser through a T-shirt sale. People can order one by clicking here.
Anyone can also donate to his GoFundMe account.
Copyright 2016 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.