'Legal Issue' Ends Casey Anthony Trial Day 28 Early

Casey Anthony, 25, Charged With 1st-Degree Murder

ORLANDO, Fla. - Day 28 of the Casey Anthony murder trial ended with no witness testimony.

Judge Belvin Perry announced around 9:45 a.m. that a legal matter separate from the issues discussed earlier in the morning forced him to recess for the day.

"Both sides concur that a legal issue has arisen unrelated to the legal issue we talked about this morning ... that would necessitate us recessing for the day," Perry said.

Perry said court would resume at 8:30 a.m. Monday.

At the beginning of the day, prosecutor Jeff Ashton requested a full Richardson hearing regarding the testimony of defense witness Dr. Kenneth Furton. A Richardson hearing is the inquiry into the surrounding facts and circumstances of an alleged discovery violation.

Furton is a chemistry and biochemistry professor. During a hearing in April, Furton said many of the compounds that were found in the trash of Anthony's trunk are the same that Dr. Arpad Vass is relying on to claim that there was a decomposing body in the trunk.

Vass has previously testified that air samples taken from the trunk of Anthony's car indicate human decomposition had taken place. He also said there was an unusually high level of chloroform in the air sample.

Several other state witnesses, including an entomologist and an FBI hair and fiber analyst, testified that evidence in the trunk shows a decomposing body was placed there for several days.

Ashton said he the defense recently gave him documents indicating that Furton will testify to findings not included in his report.

Perry has required that all expert witnesses provide detailed reports of their findings or deposition of what they will testify to.

Lead defense attorney Jose Baez argued that Ashton is mistaken.

Perry said Furton cannot testify to this new information until the hearing is held.

After the legal arguments, attorneys and Casey Anthony left the courtroom for an unknown purpose. Perry called for the recess when they returned.

Local 6 reporter Tony Pipitone said law enforcement officers, including Detective John Allen and K-9 handler Deputy Jason Forgey, were in the hallway Saturday morning.

Forgey previously testified that his trained cadaver dog, Geris, alerted to the smell of decomposition in the trunk of Casey Anthony's car and in the Anthony family back yard.

On Friday, Baez grilled lead detective Yuri Melich and accused him of not looking into the possibility of other suspects.

As court concluded on Friday, Baez accused Ashton of prosecutorial misconduct and asked for a mistrial.

Baez accused Ashton of calling defense witness Robert Rodriguez's supervisor at the Department of Defense, prompting Rodriguez to be told he would lose his job if he testified. Ashton said Rodriguez's supervisor contacted him, and both sides agreed to let Rodriguez go home.

Earlier Friday, Casey Anthony's mother, Cindy Anthony, testified about Caylee's use of the Anthony family pool. The defense said in opening statements that Caylee drowned in the pool on June 16, 2008.

Anthony, 25, is charged with first-degree murder in Caylee's death. If convicted, she could face the death penalty.

Casey Anthony Trial 6/25

Copyright 2011 by Internet Broadcasting Systems and ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.