68ºF

Kitchen fire at Orlando home kills pet dog

Food was left unattended on stove, firefighters say

Generic image of fire truck lights. (Pixabay)

ORLANDO, Fla. – Food left unattended while cooking on the stove caused a fire that killed a pet dog Thursday afternoon, according to the Orlando Fire Department.

Officials said a resident at the home on Luna Negra Drive said they accidentally left the food cooking while they made a trip to the store and when they returned, the home was on fire and flames were through the roof.

[TRENDING: What to know about Biden’s COVID-19 strategy | 2021 Bike Week will happen| Florida no longer releasing overdue vaccine numbers]

Records show firefighters extinguished the flames and found a pet dog inside the home that died due to the smoke.

The American Red Cross has been called in to assist a woman and teenage boy who lived in the home and have since been displaced.