Faulty electricity outlet starts house fire

Fire guts family's home

Headline Goes Here

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Daytona Beach Fire Department put out a fire that started in an electrical outlet Saturday evening.

Firefighters said they were called to a home on Continental Drive around 7:30 p.m. Saturday.

Firefighters said a resident in the home was charging a cellphone in the outlet when the fire started.

When fire crews arrived on scene, there was heavy black smoke and flames coming from the home, officials said.

Firefighters were able to attack the fire aggressively and confine the fire to the area around the outlet.

Due to the heavy smoke damage and the possibility that the fire was from a faulty electrical outlet,  Florida Power and Light disconnected the power to the home, officials said.

The family was unable to stay in the home and received  assistance from the American Red Cross. Officials believe the home sustained about $30,000.00 worth of damage.

Copyright 2014 by ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.