Gas line fire sparks evacuation

Lightning struck gas line

VIERA, Fla. - A gas line fire threatened a home in the 3000 block of Terramore Drive in Viera. At about 5 p.m., witnesses who called 9-1-1 told dispatchers lightning struck a gas line next to a home, according to a release from Brevard County Fire Rescue, according to Local 6 News Partner Florida Today.

Firefighters responded and evacuated the residents. They used fire hoses to prevent flames from reaching the house while hazardous materials specialists dug a hole in an effort to find the gas line and clamp it, stopping the flow of fuel to the fire. Heavy rain filling the hole with water and mud prevented them from finding the line.

Firefighters applied hundreds of gallons of water per minute to the flames to make sure no fire reached the home. Crews checked the attic and garage with a thermal camera to make sure the house wasn't getting hot enough to catch fire.

At 6 p.m. representatives from Florida City Gas worked with firefighters to cut service to the home and stopped the fire at about 7, according to Lt. Jeff Taylor of Brevard County Fire Rescue.

Rescuers closed Terramore Drive at the intersection with Tavistock Drive while they worked on the fire.

Copyright 2012 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.