Kitchen fire stems from food in microwave

Headline Goes Here

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Three residents are staying with relatives after a fire broke out in their kitchen Monday night, according to authorities.

The Daytona Beach Fire Department said crews responded to the 1200 block of Essex Road for a reported kitchen fire just before 8 p.m.

When fire crews arrived on scene, smoke was seen coming from the single story concrete structure. Firefighters made entry to the structure and found heavy flames coming from the kitchen.

According to investigators, initial reports on the scene stated that a resident was cooking food in the microwave when the fire started. Upon further investigation into the cause of the fire, it was found that the resident removed the burning food from the microwave and placed in the trash can, causing the fire to spread throughout the kitchen, investigators said.

Firefighters said they were able to confine the fire to the kitchen and prevent extension into other areas of the residence.

At the time of the fire, there were three residents inside the home who all were able to escape without injury. Investigators said the residents indicated that they will be staying with relatives in the area.

Firefighters estimate damages to be around $10,000. No injuries were reported on the scene.

Copyright 2013 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.