Police: No charges after Apopka boy found wandering street

Police say no charges will be filed against Apopka mother

APOPKA, Fla. - Apopka police say the mother whose baby was found wandering on the street will not face charges. They searched her home Monday night and found nothing that would have put the child in danger.

Charges could have been possible because, according to police, she left him with a man who had made suicidal remarks earlier in the day. Police admit the move was neglectful but said there was not enough evidence to meet standards.

The man died Monday, after he crashed his car, ran into a lake, and drowned, according to police.

The 1-year-old child was found walking along Apopka Boulevard and was belived to have been in the car during the incident, according to police.  He was later found near Lake Pleasant Cove subdivision.

"When Apopka police got on the scene and they found the child, he was shivering wearing a onesie," said Officer Ed Chittenden. "He's 1 year old it's 10 minutes before 7 o'clock. It's freezing outside and he was wearing a onesie.  Had the officers not found him, he could have suffered hypothermia or been hit by a car on this busy roadway.

As police were bringing the child out of the roadway, officers were flagged down and told of a minor crash around the corner in the Lake Pleasant Cove neighborhood, police said.

"The person driving that car, the adult man, got out and ran," said Chittenden. "Ran from the scene and ran to the lake and the child was left to fend for himself."

Police said the driver had run toward a lake and didn't come to shore as instructed, diving under the water. When Apopka Fire Department sent out a boat to search the lake, the man was found submerged under the water and was unresponsive, according to police.

The man died at the scene despite resuscitation efforts, police said.

The Apokpka mom and boy were reunited Monday evening at the Apopka Police Department. The child's mother was questioned for 9 hours but was not helpful to police in the investigation.

She told them that she and the man lived together, but was not sure if he was the father of the child. Hiding under a blanket, the mother, carrying her child, walked out of the police department Monday night, ignoring questions from the media.

The Department of Children and Families has been notified and an investigation is under way.

Copyright 2013 by ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.