Money carrier shot during robbery says he can ‘move on' after sentencing

Loomis driver reflects on sentencing of man who shot him

By Troy Campbell - Reporter

ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla. - A former Loomis money carrier who was shot inside an Altamonte Springs Publix talked to News 6 on Monday about the sentencing of the man convicted of nearly taking his life in October 2015. Marcos Rivera was shot several times, including two shots in the head.

Lil Burtie Willis, 24, was sentenced in October to a minimum of 25 years in prison before he can appear in front of the parole commission. A jury in September found Willis guilty of attempted murder and armed robbery.

"Now I can close that door and move on with my family and just continue my life," Rivera said.

River said he had mixed emotions when he came face to face with Willis during the trial.

"When they were showing the video a lot of the times I was looking at the guy that shot me," Rivera said. "I just didn't want him to look at me and smile, like showing no type of remorse."

Rivera said Willis kept his head down during the trial while surveillance video played of the incident. He took that as a sign of remorse.

[AUDIO: Warning, content may be graphic: 911 calls released | PICS: Cash carrier shot in head | VIDEO: Watch news conference | Surveillance released]

"He showed, you know, what he did was wrong," Rivera said.

Rivera's son Aaron was 2 years old when Rivera was shot. Rivera said that he's thankful to be alive.

"I want him to have a father and grow up with a father figure," said Rivera. "I'm definitely happy and that makes me think beyond. You know I'm happy to be around for my son."

Rivera is back working for Loomis, but his days in the field are over.

"He did get away with the money, but for a good weekend?" Rivera said. "I mean you figure 25 to life for a good weekend? It's a big price to pay for a couple thousand dollars and a few nights out with your friends."

Rivera has visited the Altamonte Springs Publix several times since the shooting, and has spoken with the employees who helped keep him alive.

"I was conscious the whole time so them speaking to me and trying to keep me calm, yes, I would say they helped out a lot," Rivera said. "When I half stepped in there, I could relive the scene almost. But yeah, seeing the people and how kind they are and whatnot, it makes me feel better going in."

Employees placed calls to 911 moments after shooting while applying pressure to Rivera's wounds.

The State Attorney's Office said Willis has filed an appeal of his convictions.

Copyright 2016 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.