ORLANDO, Fla. - The Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority is moving forward with a plan to hire a new executive director on Wednesday, despite State Attorney Jeff Ashton asking the board to hold off.
The Expressway Authority was poised to offer former State Rep. Steve Precourt a one-year contract to become the new executive director. But because of Ashton's investigation into possible violations of the state's open meetings law, the board decided to offer Precourt a month-to-month contract.
Precourt, who spoke briefly at the meeting on Wednesday, said he is not sure if he wants to take the job. The board is giving him until Friday to talk it over with his attorney.
Last week, Ashton sent a letter to the expressway authority, urging them to hold off of hiring a new executive director until the investigation is complete.
In a 3-2 vote, the board decided on Wednesday to offer Precourt a month-to-month contract, rather than a year contract, until the investigation is complete.
Ashton said some witnesses in the investigation have lacked candor and had questionable lapses in memory, prompting Ashton to ask the board to hold off making leadership changes.
Copyright 2014 by ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.