WASHINGTON – A federal judge has granted a leading Democratic super PAC's request to join a court fight between President Donald Trump and a Wisconsin TV station, which his campaign sued after it aired a political ad criticizing his handling of the coronavirus pandemic.
That sets up a notable legal battle between Trump’s financially flush Republican reelection campaign and Priorities USA, one of the biggest spending groups in Democratic politics, which paid to air the ad.
The Trump campaign's flare for theatrics were on display Wednesday. Although Priorities USA actively sought to intervene in the case, the Trump campaign instead claimed credit for being the one who sued Priorities.
“Donald J. Trump for President, Inc. today filed a complaint against Priorities USA (PUSA) for defamation in their sponsoring of an ad that includes false and libelous statements against the President,” the campaign said in a news release that contained several misrepresentations.
Trump initially sued WJFW-TV, an NBC affiliate in northern Wisconsin, in state court. The case was transferred to federal court at the station's request in April, and a request by Priorities USA to join as a co-defendant was granted on Tuesday, court records show.
The lawsuit that Trump's campaign said it filed on Wednesday against Priorities was actually filed last week. And it was recognized instead by the court as a “supplement” to their prior lawsuit against the TV station — not a new complaint, records show.
The lawsuit seeks compensatory and punitive damages in an amount to be determined at trial.
The ad in question pieces together audio clips of the president downplaying the threat posed by the COVID-19 virus, while a chart that is splashed across the screen gradually begins to shoot upward as cases of the virus skyrocketed across the nation.