WASHINGTON (CNN) - In response to the release of a Republican memo alleging that the FBI abused its surveillance tools, Democrats on Capitol Hill have prepared their own memo.
California Rep. Adam Schiff, the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, produced the 10-page document as a rebuttal to the GOP memo on alleged Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act abuses that the House panel voted to make public on Monday.
- Disputed GOP-Nunes memo released with Trump's approval
- Trump accuses FBI, DOJ leaders ahead of memo release
- Ex-DNI chief Clapper calls Nunes memo a 'blatant political act'
- Trump moves toward releasing memo he hopes will undermine Russia probe
- White House worried FBI director could quit over Nunes memo release
- Schiff accuses Nunes of altering memo before sending to White House
- FBI chief has 'grave concerns,' clashes with Trump over GOP memo
- FISA memo rebuttal also criticizes Nunes
- Trump says he'll '100%' release Nunes' FBI memo
- WaPo: Rosenstein asked for Trump not to release Nunes memo
For the Democrat's memo to actually be released, it would have to undergo the same process that the Republican memo has gone through.
First, the House Intelligence Committee would vote to have the memo released to the public -- and if they vote for it, President Donald Trump would have five days to object to its public release.
When the committee voted Monday to release the memo spearheaded by House Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes, the committee also rejected a motion from Schiff to release his own memo at the same time.
"Well, we are going to try to force another vote on this," Schiff told CBS on Friday about his memo. "The Republicans voted down the release of the Democratic response, which was quite breathtaking, because they said they were offering their own memo in the interest of full transparency."
House Speaker Paul Ryan's spokeswoman AshLee Strong said the speaker is open to the Democrat's memo to be released.
"The speaker is in favor of greater transparency," Strong said in a statement. "If it is scrubbed to ensure it does not reveal sources and methods of our intelligence gathering, the speaker supports the release of the Democrats' memo."
The Democrats' memo charges that the Nunes memo is an attempt to help the White House with the Russia investigation. It argues that proper procedures were followed in obtaining FISA warrants.
Copyright 2018 by CNN NewSource. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.