PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. - A Port Charlotte couple has been arrested after authorities say their toddler swallowed prescription painkillers.
Amber and Scott Landry were charged Friday with aggravated manslaughter of a child and are being held without bond.
The coupled called 911 after their 17-month-old son was not breathing last November. The baby was rushed to the hospital where doctors said there were opiates in his urine. A medical examiner said the infant had toxic levels of Oxycodone in his blood.
Charlotte County Sheriff's detectives said the couple was snorting Oxycodone the night before the boy's death.
Authorities found empty prescription bottles of Oxycodone and methadone at their home.
Child welfare officials removed two other children from the home. The 2-year-old's urine tested positive for drugs. The children were placed in their grandparent's care.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.