Two shot in road-rage incident in Daytona Beach

Cody Pope, 17, charged with 2 felony counts of aggravated battery with firearm

By Amanda Castro - Reporter/Anchor, Tracy Richardson - Web Editor

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Two people were shot during what police are calling a road-rage incident in Daytona Beach.

The Daytona Beach Police Department said that Kevin L. Robinson and Michele Smith had both been shot at 11:33 p.m. Thursday while at Marathon Gas at 971 West International Speedway Blvd.

Police arrested Cody Pope, 17, and charged him with two felony counts of aggravated battery with a firearm. ‚Äč

The incident began at the McDonald's at 1376 West International Speedway Blvd. and continued to the gas station, police said. The road rage could have been caused by a car crash between the victims' car and the vehicle Pope was in at the McDonalds.

Officers said Robinson and Smith followed Pope's car to the gas station. Police said Robinson got into an altercation with a passenger.

"He gets out of the car, a female friend gets out of the car. They approach this woman's car with the people from DeLand in it, and he either smacks or punches the passenger in the car," Daytona Beach Police Chief Mike Chitwood said.

Pope's family didn't want to speak to News 6 on camera but said the passenger was knocked unconscious and had to be hospitalized.

Police said after the altercation happened, Pope pulled out a gun.

"And with that, the 17-year-old in the back, who is high on weed and who probably drank half a gallon of vodka with his friends, pulled out his trusty rifle and fires three shots, at least three shots, probably four," Chitwood said.

Officers said Robinson was struck three times -- once in the face and twice in the stomach. Smith was hit once in the hand. She could be heard on surveillance video at the gas station screaming for help.

"Call the police. I've been shot. My husband has been shot," Smith said.

Pope's family told News 6 the teen shot in self-defense, saying he and the passengers inside the car feared for their lives.

Police said the group fled the scene but was stopped a short time later by a traffic stop. Pope was taken into custody without incident.

Robinson was taken to Halifax Medical Center and is currently in critical and unstable condition. Smith was also treated at Halifax and is in stable condition.

Pope's family said the 17-year-old is expected to make his first appearance in court Saturday morning.

The incident is under investigation. 

Copyright 2016 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.