APOPKA, Fla. - A trip to the dog park turned into a mission to get results for a local pet owner after she told News 6 she found a potentially poisonous plant for pets scattered around park grounds.
The woman took her concerns to Facebook in order to spread the word about the sago palms at the Apopka dog park.
According to the Pet Poison Helpline, sago palms are toxic for animals and cause symptoms as severe as liver failure in dogs.
"This is a place that is supposed to be safe for dogs," Ezekial Vasquez told News 6.
Vasquez said he just started bringing his dog to the park and had no idea the plants were toxic.
News 6 took his worries and other concerns from pet owners to the city of Apopka and from there, the public information officer with the city said that they determined the best course of action was to simply get rid of the sago palms.
"The safety and well being of our residents and their pets at all of our recreational facilities is the top priority for us," Rogert Sargent said. "Now that we have been notified of it, we are planning to remove them."
News 6 was there Tuesday as crews came by to remove the plants. It's unclear whether they will be put somewhere else.
Copyright 2016 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.