Cats more sensitive to poisoning than dogs
Cats lack certain liver enzymes, making them more sensitive to poison
ORLANDO, Fla. – Cats are finicky eaters and due to this many people think they are poisoned less than dogs. Their natural curiosity, grooming and hiding habits, along with missing certain liver enzymes, can make them much more sensitive to poisoning than dogs.
Also it's possible that a cat will get a poisonous substance on their fur and clean the substance into their system. They could also catch and eat a vermin that has consumed a poison itself. In any case, some of the symptoms to look for are drooling, lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, hiding, in-coordination, tremors, seizures or lethargy. Skin signs are redness, inflammation and swelling.
If you suspect your cat has ingested some kind of poison, contact your veterinarian or pet poison helpline. It's best to wrap the cat in a towel or place the animal in a carrier or box to prevent it from hurting itself or you. Do not induce vomiting. Only a vet can medically induce vomiting with injectable medication.
If the contamination is mild and on the fur only, try to wash the cat to remove all traces of the substance then follow up with a visit to your vet.
Copyright 2015 by ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.