Scott Blackmun is resigning as chief executive of the United States Olympic Committee, the organization announced Wednesday.
The USOC cited health problems as the reason for Blackmun's departure after more than eight years of leading the organization. The 60-year-old has been undergoing treatment for prostate cancer and did not attend the PyeongChang Games.
Susanne Lyons, a member of the USOC board, will serve as the acting CEO while the search for a permanent successor is underway, the organization said.
While the USOC pointed to Blackmun's health concerns, he had been under fire for a series of sex abuse scandals, most recently the Larry Nassar case involving USA Gymnastics.
In a joint statement issued earlier this month, U.S. Sens. Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.) and Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) called for Blackmun's departure over the Nassar scandal.
"Given Scott's current health situation, we have mutually agreed it is in the best interest of both Scott and the USOC that we identify new leadership so that we can immediately address the urgent initiatives ahead of us," USOC Chairman Larry Probst said in a news release. "The USOC is at a critical point in its history. The important work that Scott started needs to continue and will require especially vigorous attention in light of Larry Nassar's decades-long abuse of athletes affiliated with USA Gymnastics."
Distributed by LAKANA. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.