Strong storms move through Brevard County before launch scrub

Historic SpaceX launch rescheduled for Saturday

Spotty showers and temperatures in the low 80s are expected this evening in Central Florida.

ORLANDO, Fla. – A tornado warning was issued Wednesday afternoon for Brevard County, just hours before the historic SpaceX rocket launch that will send two NASA astronauts to the space station was scrubbed.

The warning expired at 2:15 p.m. as the strong storm cell moved northeast, away from Kennedy Space Center.

There were no immediate reports of injuries or serious damage.

The rocket launch was scrubbed shortly before the 4:33 p.m. window.

[LIVE UPDATES: Historic SpaceX launch from Florida’s Space Coast]

Stay with for updates.


All eyes are on the weather Wednesday as SpaceX and NASA attempt to send a crew back into space from U.S. soil for the first time in nearly a decade. Sea breeze storms across Central Florida may prevent that from happening.

There’s a 50% chance of afternoon storms, with storms pushing from west to east. The rocket launch is scheduled for 4:33 p.m.

Orlando will reach a high near 93 degrees. The average high on this date is 90. The record high is 100, set in 1962.

Rain chances in Central Florida increase to 70% Thursday through Saturday, with highs in the mid-90s the next two days.

With just hours left until NASA attempts to launch its first crewed mission into space in nine years, here’s a look at what launch day will look like for astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley.

Expect highs near 90 over the weekend.

Orlando has a rain deficit of 8.04 inches in 2020.

Tropical Development

The National Hurricane Center continues to monitor an area of low pressure that was centered over Central Florida on Wednesday. The system, moving toward the Carolinas, has a 70% chance of further development over the next two days, up from 30% earlier this morning.

The next named storm will be called Bertha.

Excitement has been building along the Space Coast as the countdown nears for a SpaceX launch that will bring NASA astronauts to the International Space Station.

Watch News 6 for more weather and space coverage.

About the Authors:

Daniel started with WKMG-TV in 2000 and became the digital content manager in 2009. When he's not working on, Daniel likes to head to the beach or find a sporting event nearby.

From chasing tornadoes and tracking the tropics, to forecasting ice storms and other dangerous weather, Troy Bridges has covered it all! Troy is an award-winning meteorologist who always prepares you for the day ahead on the News 6 Morning News.