Sea breeze storms in Central Florida; tropical waves form off Africa

Hurricane Jose expected to curve away from US

By Troy Bridges - Meteorologist

ORLANDO, Fla. - Afternoon storms and highs in the 90s are in the Central Florida forecast on Thursday.

"We will be pinpointing an increased chance for showers and thunderstorms for the afternoon," News 6 meteorologist Troy Bridges said. "Most of the storms come from the sea breeze action as the west coast sea breeze pushes in and interacts with the east coast sea breeze."

Rain chances will be as high as 60 percent.

"We didn't see any official rain in the Orlando rain gauge on Thursday, so that puts our deficit since Jan. 1 at 0.27 inches," Bridges said.

Expect a high of 92 in Orlando. The average high on this date is 90.

Highs will remain close to 90 through the end of the week.

[WEATHER: Extended forecast | Radar | Warnings | Pinpoint Weather Zones]
[DOWNLOAD: Pinpoint, Hurricane apps | SHARE: Weather pictures]

Expect a 50 percent coverage of rain on Friday. The chance of rain drops to 30 percent on Saturday and 20 percent on Sunday.

"Many area rivers are at flood stage or at least close to it," Bridges said. "As we get more rain on Thursday, we could have more flooding because all of our area waterways are filled to the top."

Tracking the tropics

Jose remains a Category 1 hurricane with winds at 80 mph.

Jose, less than 500 miles south of Bermuda, is moving west at 3 mph but will eventually turn to the north and curve away from the United States.

There are two other waves off the coast of Africa.

One has a 40 percent chance of developing over the next five days. The one behind it is directly off the coast of Africa and has a 30 percent chance of developing over the next five days

"Stay tuned," Bridges said.

Watch News 6 for updates.

Copyright 2017 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.