ORLANDO, Fla. – The highest bid in the auction for the gun that George Zimmerman used in the Trayvon Martin shooting is more than $102,000.
As of Thursday afternoon, the highest bid listed on UnitedGunGroup.com was $102,400, with six online users placing 23 bids.
The auction is currently scheduled to close at noon Wednesday.
The first listing for the gun, posted on a different website last week, prompted worldwide headlines and controversy, resulting in the auction being pulled from the site.
The gun was later posted on UnitedGunGroup.
The Kel-Tec PF-9 pistol Zimmerman is trying to sell is the one he used to shoot Martin in 2012 after a confrontation with the unarmed teenager in his Sanford neighborhood.
Zimmerman called police to report what he described as a suspicious person -- Martin -- walking in his neighborhood, then disregarded police instructions not to confront him. He said the teen attacked him and he shot in self-defense.
A jury acquitted him in 2013.
In his post introducing the auction, Zimmerman touted the handgun as "a piece of American history."
It still carries the case number from his trial in silver permanent marker, he said.
When first listing the gun, Zimmerman wrote: "I am honored and humbled to announce the sale of an American Firearm Icon. The firearm for sale is the firearm that was used to defend my life and end the brutal attack from Trayvon Martin on 2/26/2012."
Zimmerman added that the gun had recently been returned to him by the Department of Justice.