Man arrested in DeLand machete attack

Man charged with aggravated battery charges after investigation into fight

By Michelle Dendy - Web Editor
Headline Goes Here

DeLAND, Fla. - DeLand police said on Friday he made an arrest in a machete fight last month that left one man seriously injured.

The fight took place at the Sha-De-Land Mobile Home Park near South Woodland Boulevard in DeLand on May 22.

According to DeLand police, two men, later identified as Luis Torres and Kenneth Flores, got into a fight around 4 a.m. inside a home in the 100 block of Oak Street.

After a night out, Flores said Torres walked over to his house and began acting strangely, making fun of items in his home before grabbing and jumping on him, according to police.

Flores said he told Torres to get off him, but he wouldn't, according to police, who added that Flores then grabbed his machete and struck Torres on the head in self-defense.

Flores was arrested Thursday at his home on aggravated battery charges and taken to the Volusia County Jail with a $5,000 bond.

Torres has been released from the hospital and is recovering, police said.

Copyright 2014 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.