WINTER PARK, Fla. - A family of five and two dogs escaped unharmed as flames shot through the roof of their home late Tuesday.
Firefighters say the family was asleep in the home, which is near the corner of Aloma Avenue and Eastbrook Boulevard, when a smoke detector started to sound.
A passer-by called 911 after seeing the flames and smoke pouring out of the home.
"We just saw this single flame coming out of the top of the building, but there was nobody around," said Chase Usry. "We turned around real quick. We wanted to make sure, so we called the police."
Once the family made it out safely, the homeowner told firefighters he saw a ventilation fan on the floor which may be related to the cause of the fire.
The state fire marshal conducted an investigation, but hasn't yet released the results.
Firefighters said the Red Cross has been made available to assist the family who are staying with relatives that live nearby.
Copyright 2013 by ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.