ORLANDO, Fla. – Walt Disney World's ban on selfie-sticks began on Tuesday because of safety concerns at its parks.
The new policy took effect Tuesday and will apply to Disney's theme parks, water parks and DisneyQuest, a gaming attraction at Downtown Disney, the entertainment giant said.
The ban will also apply at later dates to Disneyland and Disney's parks in Paris and Hong Kong.
Selfie-sticks are poles that hold smartphones on the end to extend their reach. Disney has previously barred the poles on specific rides, including roller coasters. They will not be allowed past bag check, Disney said.
"We strive to provide a great experience for the entire family, and unfortunately, selfie-sticks have become a growing safety concern for both our guests and cast," Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty said.
It's not known if selfie-sticks have injured any guests at Disney.
Universal Orlando has also banned selfie-sticks from certain rides, but does not have a park-wide ban.