Local woman warns of popular pet medication

Woman says dog died after taking heartworm medication

Elizabeth Taylor said she was trying to protect 6-year-old Roscoe by giving him Trifexis, a monthly combo pill made for heartworm, parasite and flea prevention.

"I feel like I poisoned my dog" said Elizabeth Taylor.

[WEB EXTRA: Elanco statement | FDA info on Trifexis ]

"First time he got a little sick, but I didn't think anything of it. The second time he got very sick," Taylor said.

Taylor said Roscoe, an English pointer mix, was never the same after taking the medication.

"He was lethargic, he was cold, he was shaking, shivering, he had bloody stool, he was vomiting," Taylor said.

For three weeks, despite round-the-clock care and trips back and forth to the vet, Roscoe's health deteriorated and he was eventually put down.

Jessie Grissom, Taylor's daughter, said, "He wouldn't bark. He was shy to come around. He knew that we were there for him, but it's almost like he didn't want us to see him like that."