ORLANDO, Fla. – Orlando Utilities Commission is preparing on Tuesday for Hurricane Matthew nearing Florida with additional resources.
OUC listed these tips for families to prepare ahead of the storm:
- Update phone number with OUC for calls from automated phone system.
- Organize a family plan, including meeting places, phone numbers and responsibilities.
- Locate nearby shelter locations in case of evacuation.
- Store patio furniture, toys, plants and other outdoor items.
- Following a power outage, unplug large appliances to protect them from a power surge and fire hazards.
- Never run a generator inside your home or garage, and never plug it directly into your home’s electrical system – individual appliances should be directly plugged into the generator.
Outages can be reported on OUC’s 24-hour Emergency Service hotline at 407-423-9018.