Lake County issues voluntary evacuation order in Astor along St. Johns River
Lake County opens shelters as Matthew strengthens
Lake County is issuing a voluntary evacuation order in Astor effective immediately due to flooding predicted along the St. Johns River for Hurricane Matthew
The National Weather Service has issued a river flood warning for the St. Johns River. The river is expected to crest at Astor at 3.9 feet between 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Friday, according to officials.
Lake officials are urging residents in the area to self-evacuate, saying if they don't, residents may be faced with impassable roads.
Officials said affected areas include Blue Creek Point, Astor Forest Campsites, Powell’s Subdivision, St. Johns Waterfront Estates, Holiday Haven Campsites, Alco Road, Blue Creek Lodge Road and Tarrogona Way on the south shore of Lake George.
[WEATHER: Extended forecast | Radar | Warnings | Pinpoint Weather Zones]
[DOWNLOAD: StormPins, Pinpoint, Hurricane apps | SHARE: Weather pictures]
[MORE: School closures | Sandbag locations | Shelter list | Live traffic conditions | Track flights at OIA | Hurricane info | Hurricane special]
All Lake County primary and special needs shelters are pet friendly, and are now open:
• Astatula Elementary, 13925 Florida Ave., Astatula
• Leesburg Elementary, 2229 South St., Leesburg — special-needs
• Lost Lake Elementary, 1901 Johns Lake Road, Clermont — special-needs
• Mascotte Elementary, 460 Midway Ave., Mascotte
• Round Lake Elementary, 31333 Round Lake Road, Mount Dora
• Spring Creek Elementary, 44440 Spring Creek Road, Paisley
• Treadway Elementary, 10619 Treadway School Road, Leesburg
• Umatilla Elementary, 401 Lake St., Umatilla — special-needs
• Villages Elementary, 695 Rolling Acres Road, Lady Lake — special-needs
SANDBAGS -- UPDATE: All Lake County Fire Rescue sandbag operations were suspended Thursday night
Sandbags at unincorporated county locations are limited to 20 sandbags per household per day. Sand is available based on a limited supply. These locations are self-serve and residents need to bring their own shovels. Pickup hours are 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., and are available at the following locations:
• Station 10: 23023 State Road 40, Astor
• Station 14: 42700 State Road 19, Altoona
• Station 53: 2505 Spring Lake Rd, Fruitland Park
• Station 110: 6234 County Road 561, Clermont
• Station 39: 31431 Walton Heath Ave., Sorrento
• City of Eustis
Eustis Fire Station #22, 100 W. Norton Ave., Eustis. Bags, shovels and sand will be provided. This will be self-service sandbag fill location however, assistance to those requiring it will be provided. 20 bags of sand per household. Pickup hours are 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
• City of Minneola
Minneola Fire Department, 307 Virginia St., Minneola. Residents should bring their own shovels. Bags and sand are on site.
• City of Groveland
Groveland Fire Station #95, 450 W. Orange St., Groveland. Shovels, bags and sand are available, up to 20 bags per person, from 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
The citizens information line is open 24 hours at 352-253-9999. www.alertlake.com
Copyright 2016 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.