82ºF

Deltona man sues after e-cigarette explodes in pocket

James Dardini claims he suffered severe burns

DELTONA, Fla. – A man who claims he suffered severe burns after his e-cigarette device exploded in his front pocket is suing the distributor and the Deltona store that sold it to him.

James Dardini filed a lawsuit in Volusia County court, claiming Sunshine Vapor, located on Elkcam Blvd., and Georgia-based KangerTech were negligent in selling him a dangerous device.

The lawsuit, filed by classaction.com attorney Mike Morgan, claims Dardini was guided to purchase the KangerTech Subox Mini to help him quit smoking in September, 2015.

He says three months later, three days after Christmas, he arrived at work in Ocoee where the device exploded in his front right pocket.

Dardini says he suffered severe burns on his right leg and his right hand.

The lawsuit claims the battery was defective, and it claims KangerTech and Sunshine Vapor were negligent in selling him a defective product.

He's seeking damages.

News 6 discovered Dardini is not alone. Many more people across the country have experienced similar explosions with similar devices. In fact, several people have filed similar lawsuits against KangerTech. 

Neither company responded to News 6's request for a comment on the lawsuit.​


About the Author: