CASSELBERRY – You can now get your hair cut and your nails done.
Gov. Ron DeSantis announced Friday that salons and barbershops could reopen Monday.
At City Escape Spa in Casselberry, workers made sure employees and customers would be safe as nail salons, hair salons and barbershops around the state prepared to reopen Monday.
The salon now requires customers to wear a mask, hand washing and the use of hand sanitizer.
“I’m really excited to get back to work," said Eve Owens, a nail technician. “(Sunday) marks seven weeks that we’ve been closed.”
Owens is already talking about safety measures that will need to be taken.
“When someone comes in, I always tell them to wash their hands," she said. "So they’ll be using the sink here. We have towels they can use they throw it in the dirty linen."
Mary McDaniel was the first client to arrive Monday at City Escape Spa.
“I’m glad that we are taking baby steps. I’m glad we aren’t rushing into things, but I’m glad. It’s time,” McDaniel said.
Owens said she’s booked for the entire month of May, taking more than 100 appointments over the weekend.
Brandon Palmore, who owns Mr. B’s Grooming Lounge in Orlando, said his shop has also been closed for weeks.
“For me, it’s been difficult, but luckily we’re still here,” he said.
Palmore and his barbers are ready to return to work, but his shop is reopening Tuesday so he can spend all day Sunday and Monday cleaning and sanitizing the place for customers.
“Making sure everyone sanitizes and washes their hands when they come in and as appointments come to the shop, they’ll have to wait in then car,” he said.
He also plans to require customers to wear a mask.
“We’re blessed and by the grace of God we’re still here,” he said.
Barbers were busy Monday at VIP Cuts in Casselberry. The owner said all of the barbers are wearing masks and haircuts are by appointment only to keep limited people inside.
Effective May 11, the following restrictions are mandatory for barbershops, cosmetology salons and cosmetology specialty salons:
- All customers will be by appointment only.
- Allow at least 15 minutes between the conclusion of an appointment and the beginning of the next appointment for proper disinfecting practices.
- No group appointments are permitted
- Masks must be worn by all employees while performing personal services.
Barbershops, cosmetology salons, and cosmetology specialty salons are encouraged to adhere to the following guidance:
- Thoroughly clean and disinfect prior to reopening. Make sure to disinfect all surfaces, tools and linens, even if they were cleaned before you originally closed. This type of cleaning should continue between each day of operation.
- Consider providing unworn masks to clients for use during their appointment
- Remove all unnecessary, frequently touched items like magazines, newspapers, service menus and any other unnecessary paper products and décor from customer service areas.