WKMG-TV posts full-time job
WKMG-TV, the Graham Media Group-owned CBS network affiliate in Orlando is seeking an Assignment Manager for the news department.
The duties of this position include, but are not limited to, organizing and coordinating assignment desk staff and multi-media journalists to facilitate daily news coverage for multiple platforms, including assigning reporters, photographers and project producers to cover daily news stories, breaking news, special assignments and events. This position will work closely with the assistant news director and executive producers on coverage and journalistic balance of stories and assist with the work schedules of reporters and photographers. Additional responsibilities include supervising and scheduling the assignment desk personnel and taking an active role in planning in-depth series and special coverage.
- Supervise assignment desk operations and staff. Assign daily news coverage and supervise logistics of news crews.
- Lead newsroom planning for daily news and special event coverage. Maintain newsroom planning documents and calendar.
- Active participant in daily editorial meetings, including presentation of the day/night /books.
- Generate story ideas through beat calls, social media, wire services, websites and contacts throughout the viewing area.
- Coordinate and communicate coverage plans to all newsroom constituencies, including producers, online and social media staff.
- Demonstrate sound news judgment in selecting and/or recommending stories.
- Develop and maintain assignment desk systems, including story filing and following systems.
- Maintain strong communication with other television station departments about news and community activities.
- Organize news-related information necessary to the decision-making process in a television news operation, dispatch and coordinate human and technical resources for news coverage.
- Organize information for the use of reporters, photographers, writers and producers.
- Maintain strong people and communication skills in a competitive, pressurized environment and work under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to collect and post content on the station website and in social media on a daily basis.
- Discretion, maturity and composure-especially under pressure.
- Ability to work flexible hours including nights, weekends, holidays.
- Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license with a driving record acceptable to the company.
- Reports to News Director.
- Communications or Journalism degree from a four-year university preferred.
- Minimum of five years progressive newsroom experience as an assignment editor, producer, reporter or photographer.
- Demonstrated ability to manage people and other resources.
- Prefer previous newsroom management experience.
- Ability to work in fast paced environment with daily deadlines and changing priorities.
Allison McGinley (No Phone Calls Please)
WKMG-TV is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In addition to complying with the requirements of federal law, WKMG-TV will comply with applicable state and local laws prohibiting employment discrimination. Any offer of employment is conditional upon the successful completion of a background check and pre-employment drug screen.
Copyright 2017 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.