DeLand man shot, killed in fight over lighter, police say

30-year-old man killed, police say

DeLAND, Fla. – A 30-year-old DeLand man was shot and killed Thursday afternoon after an argument that started over a cigarette lighter, according to police.

Police said Trevin Taylor was shot in the area of Parsons and Walts avenues.

DeLand police received a 911 call at 1:46 p.m. When they arrived at the scene, they said Taylor had died from his injuries.

Chris Graham, with the city of DeLand, said that police arrested the suspect, Juan Lopez, 18,  and htook him into custody with the help of the Volusia County Sheriff's Office.

Lopez has been charged with first-degree murder and aggravated assault with a firearm, Graham said. He was being transported to the Volusia County Branch Jail.

Taylor and Lopez went to a nearby convenience store earlier in the day to purchase beer and Lopez took a baseball bat into the store to harass the clerk, according to the police report.

As the two were walking back to their vehicle, Lopez struck Taylor with the bat in the face after they started arguing over a lighter, the report said.

Later, after drinking beer and using cocaine, Lopez and Taylor started to argue again, the report said. Lopez pulled out a gun from his waistband and shot Taylor in the head, according to the report.

While Lopez was running from the scene, he also pointed the gun at woman with her children, police said.

Taylor's mother was surrounded Thursday evening by loved ones just feet from where her son was found shot along Walts Avenue.

She told News 6 she was "broken." As she was led to a nearby home, she told News 6, "I can't talk right now ... maybe later."

Lopez has had previous run-ins with law enforcement. He was booked in the Volusia County jail in January for two charges: manufacturer of paraphernalia and possession of cannabis less than 20 grams.

Graham said that authorities were able to make a "quick apprehension."

A gun was also found a short distance from the shooting scene.

Taylor's neighbor, Karen Day, said she heard the gunshot while inside her home.

She knew Taylor as "Tat." A neighbor rushed to her home to tell her about the shooting, Day said.

"She said, 'Tat's been shot. He's dead,' and I said, 'No.' She said, 'Yeah, he is,' and she pointed over there and I walked over to the gate and sure enough, he was laying on the ground," Day said.

Day said that Taylor always watched out for her and didn't deserve this.

"That boy never meant anybody any harm. Never did. There was an innocence about him," Day said.

Graham said that Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood was at the right place at the right time to investigate the shooting.

EDITOR'S NOTE: This story has been updated to correct the spelling of the victim's name to Trevin Taylor. Law enforcement originally released that his name was Trevon Taylor.