76ºF

Woman lighting cigarette while on oxygen suffers burns

Fireball scorched victim's face, arm

Deputies airlift a woman who suffered burns while lighting a cigarette.
Deputies airlift a woman who suffered burns while lighting a cigarette.

DAYTONA BEACH SHORES, Fla. – A 60-year-old woman who was using oxygen suffered burns on her face and arm when a fireball erupted as she was trying to light a cigarette, according to the Daytona Beach Shores Department of Public Safety.

The victim was at Silver Sands Inn on Atlantic Avenue around 3 a.m. when the incident occurred. She suffered second and third degree burns on approximately 10 percent of her body, officials said.

The woman's roommate told first responders that he called 911 around 11:15 a.m. when the woman began suffering from respiratory distress. 

Volusia County Sheriff’s Office Air One airlifted the woman to Orlando Regional Medical Center for treatment.

The victim's name will not be released due to privacy concerns.


About the Author: