Osceola schools feeding children breakfast, lunch during coronavirus school shutdowns
Children under 18 eligible for free breakfast, lunch
OSCEOLA COUNTY, Fla. – As classrooms remain shuttered in response to the coronavirus pandemic, Osceola County Public School officials announced meal distribution sites will be expanded to better feed students.
District Superintendent Debra Pace announced Wednesday that in addition to 12 distribution site already operating, more sites would open March 30 to better feed children.
“On Monday the district fed 1,938 students, and yesterday that number grew to 2,731,” Pace said. “I anticipate it will continue to grow.”
Pace said all children 18 years or younger would be able to pick up breakfast and lunch from the distribution sites between 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m.
“Families can choose the site nearest to them to pick up food even if they do not attend that school,” Pace said. “Families drive up to the bus loop, they are handed meals through the vehicle window to limit access and practice social distancing. The student must accompany the adult when picking up the meals, however. Meals can be provided to children not of school age and their siblings if they are in the same group.”
The distribution sites currently open until April 15 in Osceola County are:
- Michigan Avenue Elementary - 2015 S. Michigan Avenue in St. Cloud
- Lakeview Elementary - 2900 5th Street in St. Cloud
- Ventura Elementary - 275 Waters Edge Drive in Kissimmee
- Denn John Middle - 2001 Denn John Lane in Kissimmee
- Central Avenue Elementary - 500 W. Columbia Avenue in Kissimmee
- Osceola High - 420 S. Thacker Avenue in Kissimmee
- Kissimmee Middle - 2410 Dyer Boulevard in Kissimmee
- Sunrise Elementary - 1925 Ham Brown Road in Kissimmee (Poinciana)
- KOA Elementary - 5000 Koa Street in Kissimmee (Poinciana)
- Deerwood Elementary - 3701 Marigold Avenue in Kissimmee (Poinciana)
- Westside K-8 School - 2551 Westside Boulevard in Kissimmee
- Cameron Preserve
- Narcoossee Middle - 2700 N. Narcoossee Road in St. Cloud
- Liberty High - 4250 Pleasant Hill Road in Kissimmee (Poinciana)
- Holopaw Church
For more information on the measures taken to assist students and families during the coronavirus pandemic, visit the district website here.
Copyright 2020 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.