ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. – A man is celebrating a return to his newly renovated home after an Orange County program repaired extensive damage from Hurricane Ian.
On Tuesday, county leaders joined Lorenzo Turner as he saw the completed repairs and renovations for the first time.
The 64-year-old, who uses a wheelchair, had lived in his home for 36 years before his roof was significantly damaged by Hurricane Ian in 2022.
[VIDEO: Volusia couple awaits FEMA help years after Hurricane Ian damaged home]
The storm caused extensive water damage and the need for thousands of dollars in repairs.
Last year, Turner applied and was approved for the Orange County Recovers program, which provides grant funding to eligible low-to moderate-income homeowners to repair or address lingering damage from Hurricanes Ian and Milton.
The repairs at Turner’s home were around $147,000 and included a new roof, flooring, drywall, a remodeled kitchen and bathrooms.
“I really appreciate it for this. Now I can be more independent,” Turner said. “I just thank God for the people that helped get it through for me, I thank them for it.”
[VIDEO: Volusia family waits 3 years for Hurricane Ian home demolition funds]
The funds for Orange County Recovers are provided through the federal Community Development Block Grant Disaster Recovery program and may be used for housing repairs, replacements, or full reconstruction.
“With the disaster recovery funds, we’re able to assist homeowners with the repairs that still remain,” Program Manager Sherry Julien said. “At the end of this, we hope to have 300 plus homes either rehabbed, reconstructed, or replaced.”
The online application portal is open for Orange County property owners still dealing with storm-related damage from either hurricane.
To apply for the program, click here.