VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. – A man accused of randomly attacking and slashing a 13-year-old boy’s throat in Daytona Beach on Saturday will remain in jail while awaiting trial for another violent act.
On Thursday, a judge ordered Jermaine Long, 44, to be held under pre-trial detention in a case where police said Long chased and hit a man with a sledgehammer.
According to court records, the incident happened earlier in the day, but Long was initially let go and given a trespass warning.
During Thursday’s hearing, Long’s attorney didn’t object to the state’s request for pre-trial detention.
“It’s our belief that this was in his best interest to stipulate to the state’s motion,” Steven Robinson said.
When police arrested Long Saturday night after the attack on the teen, it was their third time that day responding to incidents involving him in the area around the Boardwalk and Main Street.
Daytona Beach police reports show that on Saturday, Long was trespassed from a location on South Hollywood Avenue around 8 a.m.
Three and a half hours later, police were called again — this time to a 7-Eleven near the Boardwalk, where Long allegedly chased a man and hit him with a sledgehammer. Officers spoke with both Long and the victim but did not make an arrest, instead trespassing Long from the area.
About 11 hours later, police received a call that Long had randomly attacked and slashed a 13-year-old boy’s throat near the Slingshot ride.
[VIDEO: Man accused of slashing 13-year-old had violent incident earlier that day in Daytona Beach]
Long was taken to jail on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Two days later, police filed charges related to the sledgehammer incident.
Records show Long was released from jail four days before Saturday’s incidents.
[WATCH BELOW: Family seeks answers after son’s neck slashed in Daytona Beach by man recently released from jail]
Robinson said both cases appear to be moving forward with a not-guilty plea.
“My client has indicated that he’s innocent and that’s what we’re going to believe,” Robinson said.
Pre-trial for the case that involved a sledgehammer was set for April 1.
Long is scheduled to appear in court for an arraignment on the throat-slashing case on March 10.