US case against Venezuela's oil minister hits another snag
FILE - In this May 19, 2018 file photo, Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro, right, and then Vice President Tareck El Aissami tour the construction site of La Rinconada baseball stadium on the outskirts of Caracas, Venezuela. The prosecution of El Aissami, Venezuelas Oil Minister, for violating U.S. sanctions has run into another snag after a federal judge on Monday, Nov. 2, 2020, allowed one of his co-defendants to withdraw a guilty plea over allegations U.S. attorneys withheld evidence in the case. (AP Photo/Ricardo Mazalan, File)The prosecution of Venezuela’s Oil Minister Tareck El Aissami for violating U.S. sanctions has run into another snag after a federal judge allowed one of his co-defendants to withdraw a guilty plea over allegations that U.S. attorneys withheld evidence in the case. Like Mones, Marin owns a flight charter company that allegedly arranged flights for El Aissami and Lopez. The same unit is prosecuting El Aissami, who has celebrated the prosecutorial setbacks.
Lawyer: Michael Cohen has offer to be a political consultant
Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's former personal attorney, returns to his apartment after being released from prison, Friday, July 24, 2020, in New York. District Judge Alvin Hellerstein ordered Cohen released on parole saying he believes the government retaliated against him for writing a book about Trump. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)NEW YORK President Donald Trumps former personal lawyer has been offered work as a consultant and to make media appearances for a political action committee, his lawyer said Wednesday. Michael Cohen hopes to accept the offer to work on the committees behalf, attorney Danya Perry told U.S. District Judge Alvin K. Hellerstein in a letter aimed at ensuring the judge does not object. Cohen, 53, began serving the sentence in May 2019 after pleading guilty to campaign finance fraud and lying to Congress, among other charges.
US government drops effort to silence Trump's ex-lawyer
Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's former personal attorney, returns to his apartment after being released from prison, Friday, July 24, 2020, in New York. District Judge Alvin Hellerstein ordered Cohen released on parole saying he believes the government retaliated against him for writing a book about Trump. An agreement between lawyers for the government and Cohen attorney Danya Perry lifting the media ban that had prevented Cohen from speaking publicly awaited a signature by a federal judge. U.S. Judge Alvin K. Hellerstein last week ordered him released, saying the governments action was retaliatory and a violation of his First Amendment rights. In a written declaration, Cohen said his book will provide graphic and unflattering details about the Presidents behavior behind closed doors.
Former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen released from prison again
FILE- In this May 21, 2020 file photo, Michael Cohen arrives at his Manhattan apartment in New York after being furloughed from prison because of concerns over the coronavirus. A judge ordered the release from prison, Thursday, July 23 of President Donald Trump's former personal lawyer, saying he believes the government retaliated against him for writing a book about Trump. Cohen sued federal prison officials including Attorney General William Barr on Monday, July 20 saying he was returned to an Otisville, New York, prison to stop him from publishing a tell-all book about his experiences with Trump. Cohen was sentenced to three years in prison in 2018 after pleading guilty to campaign finance charges and lying to Congress, among other crimes. He said he worked openly on his manuscript until May at Otisvilles prison library and discussed his book with prison officials.
U.S. judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to avert 2020 census undercount
NEW YORK (Reuters) - A federal judge in Manhattan has dismissed a lawsuit accusing the Trump administration of depriving the U.S. Census Bureau of funding needed to avert an undercount of racial and ethnic minorities in the 2020 census. On Wednesday, the Census Bureau suspended field operations through April 1. But she also said they were pleased the Census Bureau had announced some changes in the direction they sought, including hiring more census-takers and spending more on communications. A spokesman for U.S. Attorney Geoffrey Berman in Manhattan, whose office represented the Census Bureau, declined to comment. On Dec. 19, a federal appeals court revived part of a similar census lawsuit brought in Maryland by the NAACP.feeds.reuters.com
Vereit, others reach $1.025 billion settlement over American Realty accounting
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Investors on Monday asked a Manhattan federal judge to approve a $1.025 billion class-action settlement with Vereit Inc and other defendants of claims that prior management inflated a key operating performance metric at the real estate investment trust, when it was known as American Realty Capital Properties. The plaintiffs, including several TIAA-CREF funds, had accused American Realty of inflating adjusted funds from operations, culminating in a 2014 accounting scandal and investor losses when the truth was revealed. Vereit said on Sept. 9 the settlement and a related investor accord would cost it roughly $765.5 million. Former American Realty Chief Executive Nicholas Schorsch and the accounting firm Grant Thornton were among the other defendants. The settlement requires approval by U.S. District Judge Alvin Hellerstein.feeds.reuters.com