Meghan’s texts revealed: Royal family are ‘constantly berating’ Prince Harry over row with my father
The Duchess of Sussex accused the Royal family of "constantly berating" Prince Harry over the behaviour of her estranged father, saying that they "fundamentally" did not understand why she did not fly to his home in Mexico to "make this stop".news.yahoo.com
UK publisher begins appeal over Meghan privacy lawsuit
A British newspaper publisher has began its court appeal against a judge’s ruling that it invaded the privacy of the Duchess of Sussex by publishing parts of a letter she wrote to her estranged father, arguing that she knew the letter would potentially be published.
Duchess of Sussex was advised by Palace aide to include details of father's ill-health in letter, court hears
The Duchess of Sussex was advised by a Kensington Palace aide to include a reference to her father’s ill health in a letter she sent him that was later obtained by the Mail on Sunday, the High Court has heard. However, Jason Knauf, her former communications secretary, has insisted that despite offering Meghan that specific advice, he was not a co-author of the letter and as such, had no wish to become a party to ongoing legal proceedings. The copyright does not belong to the Crown either, the court heard, as it emerged that lawyers representing the Keeper of the Privy Purse, on behalf of the Queen, had confirmed they “did not consider the Crown to be the copyright owner”. The case returned to court on Wednesday as both sides continued to thrash out outstanding issues over the newspaper’s publication of the “personal and private” letter the Duchess sent to Thomas Markle, her estranged father. Associated Newspapers, owner of the Mail on Sunday, questioned why it had taken Mr Knauf so long to declare that he had no specific input in drafting the letter, an issue that has dominated legal argument for several months.news.yahoo.com
UK judge says newspaper can delay statement on Meghan case
A British newspaper doesnt have to run a front-page statement about the Duchess of Sussexs legal victory until it has had the chance to challenge the order, a judge ruled Monday March 22, 2021. (Simon Dawson/Pool via AP, File)LONDON – A British newspaper doesn’t have to run a front-page statement about the Duchess of Sussex’s legal victory until it has had the chance to challenge the order, a judge ruled Monday. Judge Mark Warby ruled in Meghan’s favor last month. He ordered the newspaper to publish a front-page statement highlighting the duchess’s legal victory, and said the statement should also run on the MailOnline website for a week. The judge said Monday that the statement could be put on hold while Associated Newspapers asked the Court of Appeal for permission to challenge his earlier rulings.
Meghan Markle’s father and half sister have plenty to say about her Oprah interview
When things got tough, the official line from the royal family was to give “no comment,” the former Meghan Markle said in her recent interview with Oprah Winfrey. But that’s not how we roll here in the Americas — at least as far as her father and half sister are concerned. Both Thomas Markle and Samantha Markle have followed Prince Harry and Meghan’s sit-down with commentary of their own. Of her half sibling Samantha Markle, with whom she shares a father and a half brother, Meghan said in the bonus clip, “I don’t feel comfortable talking about people that I really don’t know. “Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members.”latimes.com
The Latest: UK talk show host quits show over Meghan remarks
“I wish all the members of the royal family all the best, but my focus is getting through this pandemic. After Oprah Winfrey’s explosive interview with Prince Harry and Meghan, some people said the racism that the couple alleged was was something they expected. Markle also said he has “great respect” for Britain’s royal family and he didn’t think they were racist. “When Meghan joined the royal family, every person of color in the U.K. was worried,” she said. Ad___LOS ANGELES — Prince Harry says he was “trapped” in the royal family before Meghan helped free him.
Judge: Paper must run Page 1 statement on Meghan's legal win
FILE - In this Monday, March 9, 2020 file photo, Britain's Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex leaves after attending the annual Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey in London. A British judge on Friday March 5, 2012, ordered the Mail on Sunday to publish a front-page statement highlighting the Duchess of Sussexs legal victory over the newspaper for breaching her copyright by publishing parts of a letter she wrote to her estranged father. The judge ruled last month that the publisher had misused the duchess’s private information and infringed her copyright. They recently bought a house in Santa Barbara, California, and are expecting a second child. They have recorded an interview with Oprah Winfrey that is due to be broadcast on Sunday.
Publisher to appeal ruling that it invaded Meghan's privacy
A British newspaper publisher on Tuesday March 2, 2021, is seeking permission to appeal against a judges ruling that it invaded the privacy of the Duchess of Sussex by publishing parts of a letter she wrote to her estranged father after her 2018 marriage to Prince Harry. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, FILE)LONDON – A British newspaper publisher said Tuesday it plans to appeal against a judge’s ruling that it invaded the privacy of the Duchess of Sussex by publishing parts of a letter she wrote to her estranged father after her 2018 marriage to Prince Harry. High Court judge Mark Warby ruled last month that the publisher had misused the duchess’s private information and infringed her copyright. “The Court of Appeal, of course, may take a different view,” he said, adding that Associated Newspapers can take its case directly to the appeals court. Lawyers for Meghan, meanwhile, demanded the publisher hand over the letter and destroy any electronic copies or notes it held.
UK judge says newspaper invaded Meghan's privacy with letter
A British judge ruled Thursday Feb. 11, 2021, that a newspaper invaded Duchess of Sussexs privacy by publishing personal letter to her estranged father. High Court judge Mark Warby ruled that the publisher had misused the duchess’s private information and infringed her copyright. He said the duchess “had a reasonable expectation that the contents of the letter would remain private. Meghan’s lawyers said the “deeply personal” five-page letter was intended to be read by her father alone. “For me and so many others, it’s real life, real relationships, and very real sadness.
Prince Harry accepts apology, damages in UK libel suit
FILE - In this Thursday, Jan. 16, 2020, file photo, Britain's Prince Harry arrives in the gardens of Buckingham Palace in London. Prince Harry has accepted an apology and damages from the publisher of British tabloid The Mail on Sunday and its online version, it is reported Monday Feb. 1, 2021, in a libel lawsuit relating to articles about his relationship with the British armed forces. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)LONDON – Prince Harry on Monday accepted an apology and damages from the publisher of British tabloid The Mail on Sunday and its online version, MailOnline, in a libel lawsuit relating to articles about his relationship with the British armed forces. Harry sued Associated Newspapers for libel over two articles published in October which claimed he had snubbed the Royal Marines after stepping down as a senior royal. Harry will donate the damages to the Invictus Games Foundation, a charity for wounded or sick servicemen and women that he founded, she added.
Lawyer says ex-royal staff will shed light on Meghan letter
FILE - In this Monday, March 9, 2020 file photo, Britain's Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex leaves after attending the annual Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey in London. A lawyer for the publisher of the Daily Mail newspaper said Wednesday Jan. 20, 2021, that the Duchess of Sussex had no reasonable expectation of privacy for a letter she sent her estranged father. “Why was the Kensington Palace communications team involved at all in the wording of the letter if it was a wholly private letter?” White said. He said a full trial would be able to hear important evidence from former palace employees about how the contested letter was written. Judge Mark Warby said he would give his ruling on the application for summary judgment “as soon as possible.”___Follow all AP developments on Prince Harry and Meghan at https://apnews.com/hub/prince-harry and https://apnews.com/hub/meghan-markle
Meghan seeks court ruling over 'serious breach' of privacy
Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex will ask a High Court judge to rule in her favour in her privacy action against the Mail on Sunday over the publication of a handwritten letter to her estranged father. The duchess is seeking a summary judgment that would find in her favor and dismiss the newspaper’s defense case. It showed no concern about the fact I had suffered a heart attack and asked no questions about my health. A year ago, Meghan and Harry announced they were quitting royal duties and moving to North America, citing what they said was the unbearable intrusions and racist attitudes of the British media. ___Follow all AP developments on Prince Harry and Meghan Markle at https://apnews.com/hub/prince-harry and https://apnews.com/hub/meghan-markle
UK agency agrees not to photograph Duchess of Sussex, family
FILE - In this Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2019 file photo, Britain's Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, holding their son Archie, meet with Anglican Archbishop Emeritus, Desmond Tutu, and his wife Leah in Cape Town, South Africa. The Duchess of Sussex has settled a claim against Splash News and Picture Agency, with the agency agreeing not to take any photos of her, her husband the Duke of Sussex or their son Archie, should it come out of administration, the High Court has heard. (Henk Kruger/African News Agency via AP, Pool, File)LONDON – A news and photography agency has agreed not to take pictures of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and their son, Archie, the High Court in London was told at a hearing Friday. Under the agreement announced Friday, Splash UK undertakes not to photograph the duke, duchess or their son in the future if the agency comes out of administration. Meghan and Harry stepped down from their royal duties at the end of March and are now based in Los Angeles.
Lawyers: Senior royals advised Meghan to write to her father
LONDON – The Duchess of Sussex was advised by two senior members of Britain’s royal family to write a letter to her estranged father that a British newspaper later published in part, court papers filed Wednesday show. The former Meghan Markle, 39, is suing publisher Associated Newspapers for invasion of privacy and copyright infringement over five articles that included portions of the handwritten letter she wrote to her father after her 2018 marriage to Prince Harry. The articles were published in the Mail on Sunday newspaper and on the MailOnline website in February 2019. The decision followed a hearing held in private, and Warby said the reason for the delay request should be kept confidential. In a ruling on aspects of the case on Wednesday, Warby said Thomas Markle had not been told the reason for the delay.
Judge grants 9-month delay to Meghan's lawsuit against paper
LONDON – A British judge on Thursday granted a request by the Duchess of Sussex to postpone the trial of her privacy lawsuit against a British newspaper publisher, and said the reason for the delay should remain secret. During a hearing in London, judge Mark Warby granted the application to delay the trial for around nine months, from a scheduled Jan. 11 start date to October or November 2021. The decision followed a hearing held in private, and Warby said the reason for the delay request should be kept confidential. Associated Newspapers is contesting the claim at the High Court in London. The publisher did not resist the application to delay, but said the case was causing anxiety to 76-year-old Thomas Markle, who has health problems but intends to come to London to testify at the trial.
Judge says new royal book can be used in Meghan privacy case
Judge Francesca Kaye gave Associated Newspapers Ltd. permission to amend its defense to add “further particulars” relating to the book “Finding Freedom," which was published last month. Associated Newspapers is contesting the claim in London's High Court. A full trial in Meghan's lawsuit against Associated Newspapers is due to start in January. American actress Meghan Markle, star of TV legal drama “Suits,” married Harry, one of the grandsons of Queen Elizabeth II, in a lavish ceremony at Windsor Castle in May 2018. ___Follow all AP stories about Prince Harry and Meghan Markle at https://apnews.com/hub/prince-harry
Meghan's lawyers deny she cooperated with royal book authors
Justin Rushbrooke QC who is representing Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex arrives at the High Court in London, Monday, Sept. 21, 2020. Meghan, 39, is seeking damages from publisher Associated Newspapers Ltd. for alleged misuse of private information, copyright infringement and data protection breaches. It argues that Meghan must have known the letter to her father would likely become public. “The claimant and her husband did not collaborate with the authors on the book, nor were they interviewed for it, nor did they provide photographs to the authors for the book,” Meghan’s lawyer Justin Rushbrooke said in a written submission. Scobie said in a written witness statement that “any suggestion that the Duke and Duchess collaborated on the book is false. "
UK judge: Meghan friends can stay anonymous in privacy case
LONDON A British judge ruled Wednesday that the Duchess of Sussex can keep her friends names secret while she brings a privacy invasion lawsuit against a British newspaper. Meghan, 39, is seeking damages from publisher Associated Newspapers Ltd. for alleged misuse of private information, copyright infringement and data protection breaches. American actress Meghan Markle married Harry, grandson of Queen Elizabeth II, in a lavish ceremony at Windsor Castle in May 2018. In January, the couple announced they were quitting royal duties and moving to North America, citing what they said was unbearable intrusion and racist attitudes from the British media. No date has been set for the full trial of the duchess's invasion of privacy claim.
Stakes high as Johnny Depps libel case against UK tabloid closes
LONDON Johnny Depps libel case against a British tabloid that accused him of abusing ex-wife Amber Heard wraps up Tuesday after three weeks of court hearings that dissected a toxic celebrity love affair. Depp is the claimant in the civil case, NGN and Wootton are the defendants and Heard is their main witness. To defeat Depps libel claim, the newspaper must persuade the judge that, on the balance of probabilities, its story was accurate. Heard blamed one of the couples two Yorkshire terriers, but Depp suspected Heard or one of her friends was to blame. Stephens said that if Depp loses in London, hes almost certain to lose that American case.
Court papers: Meghan felt 'unprotected' by monarchy
LONDON Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, felt unprotected by the institution of Britains monarchy and was prohibited from defending herself against negative media coverage when she was pregnant, U.K. news outlets agency reported Thursday, citing court documents. Meghan is seeking damages from the Mail on Sunday's publisher for alleged misuse of private information, breach of privacy and copyright infringement. The publisher, Associated Newspapers, denies her claims. In court papers reportedly filed after the publishers lawyers requested further information, Meghan's lawyers described how her relationship with the British media had deteriorated by the time excerpts of the letter appeared in print and online in 2019. The judge also struck out allegations that the publisher deliberately stirred up issues between Meghan and her father and that it had an agenda in publishing intrusive articles about her.