ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. – A gas company technician has been severely burned in a gas explosion at an Orange County home on Wednesday morning, according to fire officials.
Orange County Fire Rescue said the natural gas line explosion was reported at an unoccupied home in the 10000 block of WIttenberg Way at 10:30 a.m.
Officials said a worker was at the home to prepare for a real-estate-related home inspection.
They say the worker was near the stove when a natural gas leak created a flash fire injuring the AmeriGas worker.
Fifty percent of the victim's body was severely burned, according to Orange County Fire Rescue, and he was taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center as a trauma alert.
The gas line has been secured.
"Our thoughts are with this individual," company officials said in a release, adding that the company operations and support teams will fully investigate the incident.
The homeowner's association president said the home is brand new and has never been lived in, which is valued at more than a million dollars.
No other details, including the victim's identity, were immediately available.
Check back for more on this story.