ORLANDO, Fla. – A popular car sharing service is expanding its reach to drivers in Central Florida.
City leaders on Wednesday welcomed Zipcar, as the company opens locations in Orlando and Winter Park.
According to a city of Orlando representative, the new car sharing program has several benefits, including providing an affordable short-term transportation option, decreasing parking demand and increasing sustainability.
Zipcar describes itself as the world's leading car sharing network. The company offers more than 50 makes and models of self-service vehicles by the hour or day to residents and businesses.
In Downtown Orlando, Zipcar will have six parking spaces:
- Ivanhoe Village District, on North Orange Avenue, south of East New Hampshire Street
- Orange County Courthouse, on South Orange Avenue, north of East Amelia Street
- Lake Eola, on Broadway Avenue at Robinson Street
- Lake Eola, on North Eola Drive, south of Washington Street
- Thornton Park, on South Eola Drive, south of Central Boulevard
- City Hall/CNL Garage, off Boone Avenue
After applying for membership through the company's website, drivers can reserve a vehicle. Drivers are then expected to return the vehicle to the same reserved parking space when finished.