Victim in Orange County double shooting ID'd

Manuel Feliciano, 50, charged with 1st-degree murder

ORLANDO, Fla. – Orange County deputies released the name of the woman who they say was shot and killed by a man, who then went on to shoot and injure his former boss before barricaded himself in a home.

Mary Barreda, 45, a mother of three, was shot and killed Friday in her Yucatan Drive home by Manuel Feliciano, 50, with whom she had a prior relationship with and domestic violence allegations, authorities said.

Her two children were taken into Department of Children and Families custody and will be turned over to family members. 

Feliciano was booked Saturday and charged with first-degree murder with a firearm and premeditated attempted first-degree murder with a firearm.

An arrest affidavit released Tuesday detailed the encounter between Feliciano and his former boss Otis Mitchell, which occurred after the shooting on Yucatan Drive.

According to the report, deputies were called to the home on Second Street and found Mitchell suffering from a gunshot wound to the neck.

Witnesses stated they saw Feliciano get out of a car driven by a female and immediately pulled out a gun and shot Mitchell.

The report states Feliciano was seen firing several more shots before running to a home on Annandale Street.
Deputies said they believe Mitchell may have fired him Friday, provoking Feliciano into seeking vengeance.

Deputies tried to arrest him, but they said that's when he started shooting at them, so they fired back.

About a half hour later, the man started shooting at deputies again. An extended operation to avoid any further injuries was initiated, and after midnight Saturday a SWAT team was able to enter the home and secure Feliciano. He was transported to the hospital for treatment of unknown injuries.

News 6 uncovered court documents detailing the alleged abuse of Barreda by Feliciano.

Mary Barreda wrote in the documents that on several occasions, Feliciano had been violent toward her.

She wrote that on April 1, 2016, he slapped her across her face.

Barreda even submitted a photograph to the court, showing what she alleged what a bruised eye.

Barreda also wrote that on April 26, 2016, Feliciano smashed in her car windows when he accused her of taking his work tools.

On May 1, 2016, she wrote that while riding in the car with her young children, Feliciano began to drive erratically.

When she asked him to pull the car over, she claimed he grabbed her mouth, telling her not to speak.

Orange County court officials said her restraining order was denied without a hearing.

Orlando attorney Steven Kramer said at first glance of the court documents, it appears there was sufficient evidence to issue the injunction.

"This probably warranted an injunction being entered. The question is, even if an injunction had been entered, would this have prevented her murder?" asked Kramer.

Kramer adds that without knowing all the details, it's possible the court had other reasons for denying the restraining order.

About the Authors: