ROCKLEDGE, Fla. – Several families were forced from their homes early Monday when a fire sparked up in a Brevard condominium complex.
Firefighters were called to Ocaso Lane in Rockledge around 3 a.m. after heavy smoke was reported coming from inside a unit.
Investigators said a mother, father and two small children were inside when their home began to fill with smoke.
"He's just running around, banging on everybody's doors, yelling 'Fire, fire.' That's when I'm, like, 'OK, now I know what's going on,'" said neighbor Michael Maran.
Firefighters said the family, their four dogs and three turtles escaped without injury, but there was extensive damage to their home.
"I'd say they're pretty devastated," said Maran. "I don't know the extent of the damage in there, but it looks pretty bad."
The state fire marshal, who is investigating, said the fire appears to have started in the kitchen and possibly in a dishwasher that was left on overnight.
No official cause of the fire has been determined, but investigators said it doesn't appear suspicious.
No injuries were reported in the fire, but at least two units were damaged.
The Red Cross is assisting families as repairs are being made.